Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Doomsday?: 'The Emoji Movie' Trailer Surfaces


Finally here, and I'm late to the party due to out-of-blogging responsibilities... The teaser for The Emoji Movie is finally here...

So is this the apocalypse? Did my eyes fall out of their sockets? Did my ears explode?


I didn't hate it.

Yes... But I didn't necessarily like it.

I'm more amused by the fact that the marketing seems self-aware, as if it's either saying "Yeah, we're sorry" or "We know you're not looking forward to this." We have this Eeyore Emoji who is quite thrilled to announce the movie to us, that I found kind of funny in a way. This could've been way worse.

Anyways. Check list.

Use of a classic or well-known song? Check.

A near "adult" joke? Check.

Toilet humor? Check. Gotta have that poop emoji in the movie!

It looks like your typical run-of-the-mill come-and-go animated comedy. Flavor of the week. I've pretty much been against the idea of this movie from the get-go, although I don't doubt that it could be decent. I'm actually willing to eat crow on this, but... This teaser really didn't leave me with much. Why is this movie here? Sony Pictures Animation could've gone forward with Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye and Can You Imagine?, they could've gone forward with Lauren Faust's Medusa, or the stop-mo hybrid Superbago...

On the bright side, there's still The Star, Animated Spider-Man, and Vivo. Those sound like they have potential.

Another plus... It's not called Emojimovie: Express Yourself anymore.

I've got nothing. I'll be like the emoji in the trailer and give it a "meh".

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment