Saturday, February 4, 2017

Say What? A Raunchy 2004 Danish Animated Film Hit Theaters This Weekend


Hey, if 90s Studio Ghibli films can be theatrically re-released nowadays, why not a decade-old Danish animated movie?

Terkel in Trouble, renamed The Trouble with Terkel for some reason, was released all the way back in 2004. You can tell by the look of it, and it definitely was an adults-only film. I've never seen it or even heard of it, but apparently it's supposed to be a bit of alright. Well, maybe the original Danish version. Apparently an English dub of this thing was already made... Back in 2006... And released theatrically in the UK...

I sure didn't get "could be decent" from the cheap, made-on-Windows Movie Maker trailer, but have a look...


It really reminds me of when I was the protagonist's age. I would lace almost everything I drew and wrote with coarse language and inappropriate stuff, thinking that made them "adult" and "cool".

Some new American reviews are up for the film, and they're pretty negative. The LA Times, for example, says it feels "painfully outdated". Yeah, before I found out how old this movie was, I kept thinking when watching the trailer... "Did they make this in like 2004 or something?"

Interestingly enough, this picture did get a limited US theatrical release before... Back in 2010! By the same distributor! Box Office Mojo, and those reviews, prove that this re-release is a thing...


Why it's opening in a tiny amount of theaters this weekend, I have no idea, but it's a rather weird come-and-go story in the land of animation. I guess Terkel is a big deal to someone, somewhere.

Have you seen it before? What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment